Search This Blog

Friday 19 December 2008

Pai, the land of hippies

My arrival to Pai is the result of word of mouth, no guide mentions about this tiny place, 3 hours away from Chang Mai...
I came here yesterday with a mini bus and as soon as I arrived I saw the scenery from the rest of Thailand (at least what I've seen to date) completely different. Rasta men, flowers in the air, Love & Peace signs everywhere and a kind of local logo "Hippies smell"...smiley people walking on the streets and lots of Thai people...very few tourists! I guess this is the sign of quality guarantee.
Apparently Pai is the holiday place for Thai rich people :)

It really is a lovely little place...everyone walks, or goes around with bicycle or motorcycle...bear in mind that you need 15 minutes to see it all, that's how small it is.

Wondering around for a place to stay, I found this amazing bungalow type hotel facing the river...I have pictures on my blackberry as I have been experimenting a few challenges with the 2 cameras I'm carrying. Left the 2 chargers in the rucksack in Bangkok, convinced that I was only going to be away for only 3-5 days, instead it's already more than a week and I won't be back in Bangkok before than a couple of days from now :(
So, no visual memories of Pai, but some postcards and a few presents...I guess for next Christmas :)

Yesterday, after wondering around to explore the village, looking for a camera charger (or even a new camera - unlucky), I stopped in a bar where they make drinks based on wheat grass, which apparently is good for purifying your interiors and boosts your energy! The environment is, needless to say, relaxed and smiley...everyone seems having had lots of "herbs" in many shapes or forms...really great to rent/buy a book and just relax with reggae or chill out music in the background!

I met a couple of lovely Italian hippies and spent a few hourts talking about food (for a change) and how to make the world a better place! The conversation about food started because I had some fried pork bought from the street (I have to say the street food is soooooo good, it seems and tastes better than the restaurant food), but I felt that the consistency and the aftertaste didn't remind me the pork I used to have in other places :)
Then a dog started to follow me and I felt I wanted to vomit...I apologied with the dog, in case what I was eating was his friend :(

I went to the river and lit a "bow" fire...I think bow is written this way, the guy that sold it to me said it was a bow fire...it's a paper lantern that fly with a candle as a wish for happiness and long life...usually, you do it as the New Year approaches.

Need to go back to Chang Mai today, collect my stuff...go to Bangkok, collect the rucksack and hope to find a place to stay in Koh Samui for Christmas as it seems already over booked.

When I'm in Bangkok, I'll upload the pictures from Chang Mai and the 3 days trekking and rafting...

No comments: