Search This Blog

Thursday 11 December 2008

First 2 days in Bangkok

They say that Thailand is the land of gold and not for the precious material, but for the Thai people. It's so true!
The first 24 hours were so fun and interesting...and a bit in my style, as someone would say...Silvie saw me in trouble before leaving so she decided to help me out and book a great hotel for me...close to the famous Khao San Rd (backpackers area), but less crowded and a bit more upscale (a little princess, as someone else would say :))...but she said: "I'll book only one night for you, just to make sure you change your plan as you like, and don't feel obliged to stay there, you'll definitely find interesting people on the plane and decide to go with them".
I was seated next to 2 60 years old ladies from Northern Ireland...(the accent, mhhhh)...with which the conversations went from 'can you help me to use the remote?' to 'what did you write in this space of the immigration form?' :)
At which point I felt really lucky that I had a hotel booked and started to think: is this the beginning of a weird trip? Ah, I forgot: the plane was full of young people! :)
Arrived in Bangkok, there was a long queue for the taxis so a Thai man saw me concerned and approached me to ask if I wanted a taxi - fixed tariff no matter how long it takes - of course, I said yes...I ended up in a isolated place of the airport were dodgy dogs were walking by, paid a 26$, which is an enormous amount here, thinking again: am I being a bit unlucky?
Anyway, eventually the taxi arrived and took me to the hotel...phew!
Arrived at the hotel, I decided to lie down a little bit, just to relax as for some reasons I was exhausted...needless to say that I the little bit became a few hours and I woke up at 10pm...so, I ordered some food in the room and watched a movie!
Morning after I was so excited of seeing Bangkok, so I went out armed with map and not having an idea of were I wanted to go!
So, I just walked...
A man stopped me...I thought this would want something from me, but he just recommended me some places to visit...it was the anniversary of a Buddha (sorry for the fluffiness) and he said: do you know Roberto Baggio? He's a Buddhist now, he comes here often to pray! Go to this temple and pray...
I thought it wasn't a bad idea, so I started walking in the direction he pointed out.
After a 5 minute walk, I was clearly confused so other 2 men approached me (there weren't too many people around, so I thought: here we are, now they are going to steal my bag :(
NO! They were only trying to help me...they showed me a few places I should visit and suggested to take the governmental taxis (tuk tuk), which were cheaper than private taxis...I was a bit reluctant because of what guides say about them: they drive fast and often bikers target tourists to steal bags...also if something happens on a tuk tuk, the travel insurance doesn't cover! I took it anyway :)
The driver (needless to say that I forgot the name) told me that for the 5 stops I wanted to do, and him waiting for me outside, I'd have to pay only 20 baht, which is less than 50pence!
Ok....it was fun and more than once I thought that something was going to happen, but he was so nice and kind...and I manage to see most of Bangkok!
They don't do it for free...from a place to the other I wanted to see he stopped to their "friends' shops" as a deal they have to make you buy something...
It was hard to get from a place to the other...at the beginning it was fun, then it became a bit annoying especially because I had been on that tuk tuk for 5 hours...and the amount of pollution entering my pores was really huge! When they say that Bangkok is polluted, it's true!
Anyway I visited: Wat Benchamabophit, Wat Intrawihan, the Golden Mount(Wat Saket)and the BMK (the biggest shopping centre in Bangkok)...I know, I didn't suppose to go to a shopping centre, but I needed to buy something :)...

First 2 days in Bangkok


My little man dropped me at the shopping centre and he wanted my number so he could come and pick me up today as well...he was a fun man...we tried to communicate for what was possible considering his English...I gave him 50baht (it's around 1 pound)!
I don't think I want to do another day on a tuk tuk, though it was fun!
I managed to buy a pure sapphire and natural lavender soup in the shops he "forced me to stop"!
I stopped to a beauty salon for a proper treatment to end up the day: wax, pedicure and Thai massage...amazing!
To summarise: I really felt amazing...men stopping me in the street trying to help, a woman that sold the sapphire told me 3 time I was sooooo beautiful...she gave me her number asking me to call her in the evening to take me out (Damon would like this); the Thai masseuse (woman) kept touching my arm's hair telling me how amazing they were...at the first I thought she wanted to wax my arms...no: they love them because they don't have them! :) The taxi driver that took me to the hotel after almost 12 hours wondering around, asked me if I wanted to be his girlfriend even if we leave far away, at which point I said: Italians don't like relationships on a distance, we need to see and stay close...so, he said: ok, we can be friends; so, can I take you out tonight?
Mhhhh...I said I would have called him later, but I fell asleep and woke up at midnight!
I have to say, I never felt in danger and the kindness of Thai people is just amazing...they are there to help, knowing that the tourism is the main font of richness and treat tourists as gold!
Leaving tomorrow morning for Chang mai (and around), then Laos and Cambodia!! This time I'm not alone :)

1 comment:

IAWA said...

No, you're not alone! Thailand Rocks! :)