Search This Blog

Thursday 29 January 2009

The most amazing 24 hours in Nimbin

When you say "Nimbin" everyone just thinks about the hippie place where you can freely smoke recreational herbs!
Well, I won't to deny that, but there is much more and actually more interesting things happening in Nimbin!

Nimbin is a tiny village, two hours away from Byron bay, in land...a place where, in the 60's the hippie community moved in because the lands where very cheap to buy, and they were free to cultivate marijuana! Bear in mind that selling (and cultivating) marijuana is now prohibited in Nimbin, but it's still very easy to find it! And I guess they cultivate it too, unless they import it from somewhere else! Though, apparently you have to be careful!



Two hours are more than enough to see it all and I was lucky enough that the day I arrived there was the Nimbin Market with live music and other local attractions! :)
When I say local attractions, I mean it! I saw a stand with a old-ish lady that red tarots (not that I need to know anything about my future, but I was curious) so I decided to go ahead and try to get some hints about a couple of questions! :)
I wish I had recorded the 20 minutes with Lisa - Spanish origin!
She held my hands and closed her eyes...and said something like: "you come from nothing and now you are love...I can feel the power, the power of the universe!...ah ah ah ah..." imagine the laugh of a witch...loud and a bit scary! :)
God...nothing revealed!
There was a queue of people waiting to interrogate the cards...
When I left, she gave me an angel's reading that said: "Allow your heart to guide you"
I guess, I can follow the recommendation! :)

And let's get to the real highlight of Nimbin: Nimbin Rox! It's a hostel situated at the top of a hill out of town, with a really great view, teepee's, hammocks, pool table, swimming pool, fire place work in progress to oversee the great green land...just all immerse in the nature! Great people...I met Paula from Wales, Raul from Switzerland, Roger from Canada (a 46 years old man that sold everything and went travelling...I think he was one of those hurt men, probably from a not worked marriage, with 2 kids...a few days after, one of his children was going to meet him to do some travels together!)...Roger told me that the day before I arrived, he saw a snake eating a kangaroo! I didn't want to believe it until I saw the pictures: he had been photographing more than one hour until all the kangaroo was in the snake's belly...you could even see the shape of the eaten animal inside the snake! Shocking!
An this was another highlight of my 24 hours in Nimbin: the wild life! I don't think I've ever seen so many rats, spiders and any kinds of birds!

Now, whoever knows me, knows that if I'm phobic of something, these are rats and mice!! They scare the hell out of me and I was already imagining myself screaming in the middle of the night in the most peaceful place in Australia! So, I kindly asked Raul to sleep in my big bed, I suppose to rescue me from the rats attack! :)

That night arrived a weird couple: Zoom from Botswana and Tina from Iran...they were both stunning and very high...Tina thought me how to play backgammon...really funny if you imagine that she was really high, having god knows what, with her boyfriend and I was kind of tasting the local herbs!! It was really fun...they had a clear posh background, but they also decided to steal the duvet the morning after they left!

Another hostel guest was Zac, 47 years old from New Zealand...another interesting character: never married, with a 26 years old child...a copper and gold miner that didn't trust women at all...so, you can imagine the long conversations we had about love and trust! It was fun...I actually bumped into him when I was in Airlie beach 10days after!

I loooooooooved Nimbin and I would have stayed at least a week in that great hostel, but unfortunately I had to leave as I had booked the Fraser Island and Whitsundays trip! Clearly I haven't learned that I should only book last minute accomodations and trips! :)

Highly recommended if you pass by: Nimbin Rox (it rocks!)...

No comments: