Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 January 2009

Another big city, Sydney

Landed in Australia, I was immediately impressed by the level of civilization at this side of the world. Police-dogs sniffing everywhere, so many controls before freeing you out of the gates and smiley faces! Well, more signs of civilization came under my attention the following days, but the welcome to Australia was already a good sign!

Big change from the past weeks in Thailand...

Photo by Maria Teresa Salvati

My friends Caz and Prataal became my guide to the main Sydney's attractions and (see how lucky I am) there was the Sydney Festival going on! Afternoon at the Hyde Park, drinking beers, socializing and admiring an amazing sunset while The Cat Empire and Grace Jones were performing!
Now, it was all very cool and dandy, but at a certain point the show was interrupted by some ladies demonstrating how to dance the "Sydney Dance"...it was something worse than the Macarena introduced by Los Del Rio years ago! I was a bit confused: the macarena is a Latino dance and, like it or not, it makes sense danced by Latinos...but in Sydney???!! It was hilarious seeing all these cricket and rugby fans simulating Latino moves...yes, simulating was the best they could do! :)

Photo by Maria Teresa Salvati

Apart this short parenthesis, the vibes were great!

I went to see the MCA Gallery, bumped into street art shows, walked through the Rocks, saw the Darling Harbour, the Domain...even the dodgy King's Cross area full of prostitutes, backpackers and cool bars just at the borders...
All great, but that's about it!

No offence, but it's just another city...great city, but I guess I'm not in the mood for city touring! Maybe because I come straight away from Thailand, chilled and cheap!
Nothing here is cheap and in many ways Sydney reminds me New York for the skyscrapers, the people walking with trainers and suits to work or running with the iPod...has the same English names for many places and streets: Wales, Hyde Park, Paddington...even the Queen on an Australian note!

Other signs of civilization: most of Australians drink tap water, they recycle, streets are clean (though, I've bumped in more cockroaches here than in Thailand, believe it or not!), there are even signs on some streets saying that "Alcohol is prohibited"...honestly, what happened to the drunk sport fanatics partying at Walkabout??!! :)
Distorting stereotype, maybe!!??
And, one thing I didn't like was seeing the original inhabitants of the land, begging on the streets, playing didgeridoo to the many distracted people passing by. But, I guess this is another long story.

Photo by Maria Teresa Salvati

Something odd: if the price on a shelf is, for example, 24.99$ they'll ask you for 25$...now, I know that 1p doesn't change any one's life, but I thought they were taking the piss! Change the price to 25$ so I know it before I get to the till! It might be the backpacker (inner and hidden very well) side in me, but I wanted to start discussing how wrong is that...then I thought: I'm leaving tomorrow!

Sooooooooo...I love you my Australian friends, but after 5 days, my time here is over!
Today I booked an amazing two weeks trip to the east cost involving: Byron Bay, Nimbin, Fraser Islands for a safari tour, Whitsundays for sailing, diving and snorkeling and Airlie beach!!

Leaving tomorrow eve!!! Excited!!! :)

Caz and Prat, thanks immensely for your hospitality! Love you xx

No comments: