Search This Blog

Thursday 29 January 2009

Australia's East Coast: Byron Bay and Noosa

My trip across the East Coast of Australia started with a 12 hours bus trip to Byron Bay.
As my usual, I had booked one night in Byron Bay and, just to be sure I didn't miss on anything, I booked 2 nights in a hostel in Nimbin, which the Lonely Planet guide recommended as a "trip in itself" place to stay!

Arrived in Byron Bay, I was too tired to leave the morning after, so I decided to skip the first paid night in Nimbin and stay another night in Byron Bay! I met Katie and two Italian guys in the bus, so we went out there.

Also, I discovered a Bikram yoga centre just next to my hostel, so I wanted to attend a couple of classes, considering I was craving yoga days before.

(Later I regretted not having gone earlier to Nimbin...but that's another story)!



Byron Bay was good, but the Ocean scares me...too wavy and rough! And, apparently a week before my arrival 3 people had been attacked by sharks! I don't think it would be my favourite way to die :)

Anyway, 2 days after arrived in Byron Bay, I left for a night in Nimbin and I had to come back as I had the bus for Hervey Bay...

When I came back from Nimbin, Mick come and see me from Brisbane...Mick is Megan's son, which I met more that one year ago when he was living in Oxford! I was so happy to see a friendly lovely face! He waited for me at the best spot at the Beach Hotel, overseeing the ocean with a chilled bottle of white wine! What I needed after 24 "intense" hours in Nimbin!

It was great catching up after all that time, telling each other stories about relationships, his mum, what's the best place to live and what to do in life...no definite answers to any of the subjects, though! :)

Mick and I were starving and bumped into an Italian restaurant, eating pizza and drinking beers (Peroni, to be precise)!
Something that I find pretty unique and curious here in Australia is that you can (sometimes you have to) take your own drinks! They only serve food! If you think that most of the restaurants (at least in England and Itlay) earn money from overpriced wines, it's pretty strange!...
Anyway, the night became pretty late and Mick (very Kindly) decided to drive me to Hervey Bay - otherwise, I had to wake up at 6am to catch the bus at 7am - where I needed to be to start my safari tour at the Fraser Island!
It was a pretty fun drive...very hot and accompanied by some Manu Chao music coming from my iPod! Mick insisted to stop at Noosa!

It was soooooooo worth it! Great scenery, turquoise water, not too rough and not too crowded! Really amazing!

Arrived at Hervey Bay, we both were so tired that while having dinner, Mick fell asleep...I didn't think I was that boring Mick! :)

Anyway, I had the alarm at 6am and he had to drive back to Brisbane the morning after, so our adventure together ended with a lovely Thai dinner and a tight hug!

No comments: